Ingredients for 4 people:
- 300ml double cream - do not use half-fat cream as this will separate at boiling point
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the cream and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a jug.
- Whip together the egg yolk and sugar.
- Slowly pour the cream mixture into the eggs mixture. You should pour slowly to make sure you don't scramble the egg.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins and place in a roasting dish. Then pour hot water into the roasting dish (acting as a bain marie). Don't allow the water to be any higher than a 1/3 of the depth of the roasting dish.
- Cook at 160°C (145°C for a fan oven) for approximately 30 minutes in the middle of the oven or until there's a slight wobble. The cooling down process will finish off the cooking.
- Take the ramekins out of the bain marie, allow to cool.
- Place in fridge for an hour then dust with caster sugar and use a chef's blowtorch to caramelise the top and serve.